By 2040 the French LPG player aims to replace all its propane with biopropane, only produced from vegetable raw materials and waste residues. Primagaz launched this new renewable energy in all of its French markets: housing, industry, agriculture, mobility.
Carbon neutrality for La Roche-Posay from Groupe L’Oréal
The first consumer of biopropane in France is the L'Oréal site of La Roche-Posay. This industrial site, where one hundred employees are working, is located in the French countryside and is not connected to the gas grid. On site, cosmetic skin care products are developed using the thermal spring water from La Roche-Posay.
La Roche-Posay consumes approximatively 130 tonnes of standard LPG per year for its industrial processes. As of May 15th 2018, it now uses 100% bio sourced LPG, produced in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and delivered by Primagaz France. Jean-Yves Larraufie, the president of Cosmétique Active Production, a subsidiary of L'Oréal, explains: “L'Oréal is committed to a carbon neutral approach for its manufactured products and plants and has set a target of reducing its CO2 emissions by 60% between 2005 and 2020".
Lowering energy consumption and carbon emissions
In La Roche-Posay, after reviewing the energy usage, it was decided to find ways to lower both the energy consumption and carbon emissions. After a variety of reduction measures were implemented, including a cooling pump using geothermal energy, the plant has already reduced 52% of its carbon footprint since 2009. "With the introduction of Bio LPG from Primagaz, we can now target the remaining 48%" says Jean-Yves Larraufie.
Primagaz will deliver 150 tons per year during five years saving 1,915 tonnes of CO2 of an annual basis, compared to the old situation. With a request from Groupe L’Oréal, the delivered Bio LPG is produced exclusively from used cooking oil.